Are you planning on creating a more strategic content calendar in 2024 in order to drive online growth for your website and business? We’ve put together a quick guide to creating a content calendar for 2024 with some handy 2024 digital marketing calendar dates to include.
What is a Content Planner?
A content planner, also known as a content calendar is a way of forward-planning the content you will be sharing throughout the month, quarter or year. Your 2024 content plan can include things such as the type of content you will be sharing such as blogs, images or videos. It should also include things such as national or international dates that might affect your marketing and content targets such as keywords for SEO.
When using a content calendar you can prioritise important tasks, organise the creation of content and keep track of campaigns running alongside their progress throughout the year. A content strategy defines the logic behind the content, your content plan shows how that strategy will be put into effect.
Content planners can take a number of forms and use any system you prefer to organise. For some, the interactive board format of Trello can be a great way to map out content and keep track of what needs to be posted when. For others, the formatting capabilities and data-based format of Excel or Google Sheets can be the perfect way to organise a content calendar that can be shared with the whole team. If your content calendar will be based around key dates, some might find plotting dates on a traditional calendar whether on paper, in a digital calendar or as a visual computer wallpaper prompt to be the most useful.
Why Use a Content Planner in 2024?
Given Google’s recent updates, having a clear content strategy and plan is more important than ever. Aligning your organic content plan with your business goals is a key way to see success that reflects your business aims. Dedicating some time at the start of the year, calendar month or business quarter to generating a content plan will help ensure your content has a purpose and ticks all of the reader-friendly boxes Google is now so keen on promoting.
Not only that, it could end up saving you time throughout the year. If you can map out what you will be creating and sharing throughout the year based on key industry, company and national trends, you won’t need to spend time struggling for ideas when the day arrives, you could also include links to pre-created content in your editorial calendar that simply need sharing to save even more time.
This is a great way to free up time for short-term trends and give you the ability to react to the market. With pre-created or pre-planned content already to fall back on, you’ll have more time to create additional content based on what is trending to use alongside your already-created content.
What Types of Content Planner Are There?
Whether you are an all-round marketing team of just two people or a whole team of specialists in separate areas of digital marketing, a content planner can help align your goals and see success for 2024.
For example, if you are in charge of creating website content for a travel company and know you will be adding a certain number of new hotels or packages to the website in 2024, a website content planner or blog content planner can help you set the expectations for hotels added and help to support any new pages with related blog content, making the most of your organic content planning.
If you are using your 2024 content marketing plan to go into more depth with your content this year, creating an SEO content planner could be the perfect way to track page changes and improvements with your dedicated keyword targets sitting front and centre in your plan. Search Engine Land has put together a really great guide to creating a 2024 SEO content plan in Google Sheets using some of the program’s many useful functions.
Alternatively, one of the most popular types of content planner is a social media content planner. Social media content planners are a great way to keep track of key industry dates and trends as well as the type of content you will be sharing and when. Whether you are using a dedicated social media planner tool such as Hootsuite to create a dedicated Instagram content planner or manually keeping track of your content plan using another type of software, you’ll be able to create and plan your posts in advance and use the information from your social content plan such as targets to track the performance.
Overall Content Planners
If 2024 is the year you plan to align your content strategy as a whole, an overall content planner could be just the tool. Multi-platform content plans are extremely useful for marketing teams both big and small and can help to align your brand’s messaging on each platform.
For example, if you have a new offer you will be creating content around for the website, it would be helpful for the information to be included in one place with the same messaging (adapted for the platform) shared on social media, blog posts and website content. When adding a new product to the website, tracking the target keywords in your SEO plan alongside content produced for your blog plan and promotional content shared as part of your social media plan all in one document can help to monitor what has worked best and keep information streamlined for potential customers.
How to Create a Content Planner in 2024 and Use It
Whilst we’ve already detailed most of the uses and steps involved in a content or editorial calendar above, we’ve put together a content planner checklist below with some key things to remember when creating and using your new content calendar.
Creating Your Content Planner
1. Plan a content schedule based on what is realistic for your resources. For example, if you are a one-person marketing team, you might find creating and posting new content every day hard to keep up with. However, once a week might fit your company perfectly.
2. Add this schedule to your content marketing plan along with the types of content you want to be sharing. This could include things such as carousel social media posts, blogs, podcasts or YouTube videos.
3. Add in key business dates such as peak seasons, planned sales or other elements that could affect your business marketing.
4. Add national dates to use as inspiration for social media content creation and trending events. This could include major sporting events, national holidays such as Christmas and Easter or just-for-fun marketing dates such as national cheese day or pet appreciation day. Keep an eye out for dates that are particularly relevant for your business and consumer base. For example, if you are a company that sells beds, Festival of Sleep Day would be the perfect date to add to your content calendar for 2024 alongside hashtags such as #FestivalOfSleep, #SleepDay, #Relaxation or #SelfCare.
5. Using the above, outline the content you will be creating. This can be done in a brief format such as a static Instagram post for Dry January on X date advertising your new alcohol-free gins alongside quotes from happy customers. Alternatively, you could create the content that will be shared and attach it as a link on the calendar so it can simply be checked by the nominated person and posted on the correct date.
2024 Digital Marketing Dates to Add to Your Content Planner
Now you know how to create a content plan and use it, we’ve pulled together some 2024 digital marketing dates for your calendar to get you started.
January 2024 Marketing Dates
- Dry January
- 1st January – New Year’s Day
- 3rd January – Festival of Sleep Day
- 4th January – World Braille Day
- 4th January – Twelfth Night
- 8th-14th January – UK Houseplant Week
- 15th January – Brew Monday/Blue Monday
- 25th January- Burns Night
- 26th January – Australia Day
February 2024 Marketing Dates
- 10th February – Chinese New Year
- 13th February – Pancake Day/Shrove Tuesday
- 14th February – Valentine’s Day
- 20th February – Love Your Pet Day
March 2024 Marketing Dates
- 1st March – St David’s Day
- 4th – 10th March – British Pie Week
- 7th March – World Book Day
- 8th March – International Women’s Day
- 17th March – St Patrick’s Day
- 18th March – Global Recycling Day
- 20th March – First Day of Spring
- 29th March – Good Friday
- 31st March – Easter Sunday
April 2024 Marketing Dates
- 1st April – April Fool’s Day/Easter Monday
- 14th April – Garden Day
- 21st April – National Tea Day
- 22nd April – Earth Day
- 23rd April – St. George’s Day
May 2024 Marketing Dates
- 1st May – May Day/ Early May Bank Holiday
- 4th May – Star Wars Day
- 16th May – International Day of Light
- 17th May – World Baking Day
- 19th – 25th May Chelsea Flower Show
- 20th May – World Bee Day
- 27th May – Spring Bank Holiday
- 29th May – National Biscuit Day
June 2024 Marketing Dates
- 8th June – World Gin Day
- 15th June – Clean Air Day
- 18th June – International Picnic Day
July 2024 Marketing Dates
- 4th July – American Independence Day
- 7th July – World Chocolate Day
- 26th July – Start of the 2024 Paris Olympics
August 2024 Marketing Dates
- 8th August – International Cat Day
- 11th August – End of the 2024 Paris Olympics
- 13th August – Prosecco Day
- 17th August – National Cupcake Day
- 26th August – Summer Bank Holiday
September 2024 Marketing Dates
- 5th September – International Charity Day
- 9th September – Emergency Services Day
- 10th September – World Suicide Prevention Day
- 27th September – World Tourism Day
October 2024 Marketing Dates
- 3rd October – Buy British Day
- 4th October – World Smile Day
- 5th October – World Teachers Day
- 10th October – World Mental Health Awareness Day
- 31st October – Halloween
November Marketing Dates
- 5th November – Guy Fawkes Night/Bonfire Night
- 10th November – Remembrance Sunday
- 14th November – King Charles III’s Birthday
- 29th November – Black Friday
- 30th November – Small Business Saturday
December Marketing Dates
- 2nd December – Cyber Monday
- 13th December – Christmas Jumper Day
- 25th December – Christmas Day
- 26th December – Boxing Day
- 31st December – Hogmanay/New Year’s Eve
Need Help Creating a Content Plan for 2024?
SEM Consultants are digital marketing specialists with experts in content strategy and creation from blogs to social media content. To find out more about how we can help bring your 2024 marketing goals to life, contact our team online or by calling 0121 552 6500.